These are the rainbow cakes I made for my best friend’s sister (Ria Manwell) a while back!
- 2 eggs
- 130g self-raising flour
- 130g butter/ stork
- 130g sugar
- 3 food colourings of your choice (I chose blue, green and pink)
- 100g butter (@ room temperature)
- 200g icing sugar
- 1/2 a tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 5/ 190 °C/ 375 °C
- Mix the butter/ stork & sugar together then add the eggs and sift in the flour. Stir together until smooth.
- Separate mixture into 3 bowls evenly, pour 1 colour in each bowl and mix until you are happy with the colour (note: the colours go lighter after you have cooked them)
- Prepare your cupcake tray and when finished choose one colour (blue) and separate it evenly into all the cases; then choose another colour (green) and do the same on top of the first colour (blue); now do the same with the final colour.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes
- Whilst the cakes are in the oven make the butter icing
- Slice the butter into cubes and mix with the icing sugar.
- Add the vanilla essence and (some hot water if necessary)
- Take the cakes out of the oven and place them on a cooling rack.
- When cool spread the butter icing on the top and your done lovely little rainbow cakes! ^_^